× Welcome to Digital FLEM!

You can post your comments and experiences about using Digital FLEM here.

Some success with Crimson Drivers.

• remynew
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2016 15:24 #1 by remynew
Replied by remynew on topic Some success with Crimson Drivers.
Actually NO SUCCESS.

Even though the driver installed, Direct X wasn't working at all and hence both Tomb Raider and AC:S failed to run.
Sad.
Probably throwing in the towel here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• remynew
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2016 12:50 #2 by remynew
Replied by remynew on topic Some success with Crimson Drivers.
Open the cmimanifest using something like Notepad++. or your preferred xml editor. or notepad.

Look for this Product Name string:
"AMD Display Driver for Windows Blue"
Under <table name="ATI_ASIC_Include">, you will see a list of device IDs. (Be careful, there is also a ASIC_Exclude section)

In the ASIC_Include section, find a device ID which you don't care for and replace it with the HD 6950 Device ID. you can see attached image.
Should be smth like:

<row>
<td>170</td>
<td>0x6719</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>0x1002</td>
<td>*</td>
<td>CAYMAN PRO (6719)</td>
<td>AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series</td>
<td>*</td>
</row>

Just save the xml and your installer will think HD 6950 is a valid hardware for this driver release and give you the option to install it when you run setup.

Make sure you have disabled driver signing manually from the boot menu before installing, and do not restart after installation!
Only restart after you have Disabled Driver Signature Verification through Troubleshoot Top 2 Ways to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement on Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista | Driver Talent

But using the 16.2.1 legacy files on 16.8.2 in FLEM causes BSOD during driver installation. I almost guarantee it.

ALSO: Windows 10 64 bit prevents permanent disabling of Driver Signing. i.e. drivers which are modified gets disabled every single time with reboot. You can only disable driver signing one-off.
Good times.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: AmiloMan

More
31 Aug 2016 07:53 #3 by neurobash
Replied by neurobash on topic Some success with Crimson Drivers.
I'm interested... I'm trying to get this 6950 running with the latest 16.8.2 drivers. Not having much luck thus far. I've modded the 16.8.2 using the legacy files from 16.2.1. The installer doesn't even recognize the card. How did you manage to edit the CMIManifest.xml file so that the card is recognized?

• remynew
  • Topic Author
More
31 Aug 2016 06:05 - 31 Aug 2016 06:17 #4 by remynew
Some success with Crimson Drivers. was created by remynew
This is not for the weak-hearted.
As mentioned by a previous poster. You will BSOD a lot trying out the different driver versions. I mean A LOT.

Will update with step by step instructions later and if other brave souls would like to try, please feel free.
1. Mod with FLEM.
2. Edit CMIManifest.xml to let the new installer recognize your legacy device OR Use device manager to install the driver using the inf file.

Last official driver from AMD for HD 6950 was 16.2.1. (Driver Version: 15.300)
Got it working on 16.5.3 with native resolution in Windows.
My AC Syndicate is crashing on start.
But AMD Settings says Driver Version is 16.200.1013 so I must be doing something right.

What I think:
16.2.1 legacy files are causing BSOD on drivers 16.6.1 and later on Windows 10 64 bit. Will continue to BSOD unless we modify the driver files (not the manifest, but the actual driver)
If anyone would like to try to see if this is the case with 32 bit Windows 10, please feel free.

R
Last edit: 31 Aug 2016 06:17 by remynew.

X

Right Click

No right click